On Campus

Prospective Student-Athletes, Parents & High School Personnel

If you are considering the decision to join the excellent tradition of Duquesne University athletics, the Compliance Office wants to make your journey toward becoming a student-athlete at the Division I level as easy as possible. At times, this process can be confusing, but the goal of this site is to offer helpful information and links pertaining to the areas of NCAA recruiting and eligibility regulations. Feel free to browse through this page to learn more...and best of luck!


NCAA Initial-Eligibility Clearinghouse
NCAA - Rules & Eligibility
NCAA - General Information
National Letter of Intent
Duquesne Athletics Recruiting Form
Duquesne University Admissions
Duquesne University Financial Aid


The NCAA Initial-Eligibility Clearinghouse

What is the Initial-Eligibility Clearinghouse?
If you intend to participate in Division I athletics as a freshman, you must register with and be certified by the NCAA Initial-Eligibility Clearinghouse. Your high school counselor should provide you with the NCAA Guide for the College-Bound Student-Athlete.

Where can my counselor get registration materials?
Free registration material is available by calling the Clearinghouse toll free at (877)262-1492.

How do I register with the Clearinghouse?
Complete the student-release form and mail the top (white) copy of the form to the Clearinghouse along with the registration fee ($50 for domestic students, $75 for foreign students).

What else does the Clearinghouse need to certify me?
After graduation and before school closes for the summer, your high school must send the Clearinghouse a copy of your final transcript that confirms graduation. You must also have your ACT or SAT scores sent to the Clearinghouse directly from the testing agency. Either mark code 9999 as one of the institutions to receive your scores, or submit a request for an "Additional Score Report" to the appropriate testing agency.

Visit the Initial-Eligibility Clearinghouse web site for more information.

Initial-Eligibility Standards for Athletic Participation

You are referred to as a qualifier and are eligible to practice and compete in your sport and to receive financial aid (institutional and athletically related) during your first academic year under Bylaw, if you:

  • Graduate from High School;

  • Attain a minimum high-school grade-point average of 2.000 in 14 core-curriculum courses as specified in Bylaw;

  • Successful completion of a required core curriculum consisting of a minimum number of courses in specified subjects; and

  • Achieve a corresponding sum ACT or SAT score as specified in Bylaw

You are referred to as a nonqualifier if you fail to meet the criteria above. In addition to being ineligible for practice and competition during the first academic year in residence, a nonqualifier is not permitted to receive any institutional financial aid, except as stated below. [Bylaws and]

As a nonqualifier:

  • You are eligible to receive nonathletics institutional financial aid based on need only, consistent with institutional and conference regulations.

  • You will have three seasons of eligibility after your first academic year in residence. You may earn a fourth season of competition provided that at the beginning of your fifth academic year following your initial, full-time enrollment, you have completed at least 80 percent of your designated degree program. [Bylaw]

Recruiting Regulations

When do I become a prospective student-athlete?
The NCAA defines a prospective student-athlete (PSA) as any student who has started classes for the ninth grade. In addition, any student who has not started classes for the ninth grade becomes a prospective student-athlete if the institution or a representative of the institution's athletics interests provides such a student (or a student's family or friends) with any financial assistance or other benefit(s) that the institution does not provide to prospective students generally.

When is a college considered to be recruiting me?
If any coach or representative of the college's athletics interests approaches you (or any member of your family) about enrolling and participating in athletics at that college.

Who can recruit me?
Only university staff and coaches can recruit you. Alumni and friends of the institution are NOT permitted to contact prospective student-athletes in any way.

What does a coach or athletics representative do to cause me to become a recruited prospective student athlete?
Any one of the following activities:

  • Provide you with an official visit;
  • Place more than one telephone call to you or any member of your family;
  • Visit you (or any member of your family) anywhere other than the institution's campus.

Official Visits

How many official visits am I allowed to take? Beginning when?
Each prospective student athlete is limited to five official visits (one per institution), that may be taken following the opening day of classes of your senior year in high school.

What must the school have from me before I can take an official visit?
The recruiting institution must already have a high school or college transcript and ACT or SAT scores on file.

Unofficial Visits

Can I pay my own way to visit a college campus? Starting when?
You may visit an institution's campus at your own expense an unlimited number of times beginning before your senior year of high school and continuing in your senior year. This is considered an unofficial visit.

What can the school give me when I go on an unofficial visit?
A maximum of three (3) complimentary admissions to a campus athletic event in which that institution's team is competing, provided it is done through a gate pass list. The prospective student athlete and those persons accompanying the prospective student athlete can only use such complementary admissions. They can only be issued on an individual game basis.

Telephone Calls

Who can call me on the phone? When and how often?
On or after July 1st after the completion of you junior year in high school, faculty members and coaches are permitted to call you or your parents/legal guardians once per week.
The exception to this is that a Division I-AA football coach may telephone you once during the month of May of your junior year in high school and then not again until September 1st of your senior year in high school.
In Division I ice hockey, an institution's coaches may telephone a prospect who is a resident of a foreign country once during the month of July following the completion of the prospect's sophomore year in high school.
Boosters are NOT permitted to call you.

When are coaches or faculty members allowed unlimited calls to me?
At the following time:

  • During the five (5) days prior to your official visit to that university;
  • On the day of the coach's off-campus contact with you;
  • During the period 48 hours before and 48 hours after 7 a.m. on the initial signing date for the National Letter of Intent (NLI).

Can I call coaches collect or toll free? When?
Yes, as long as the call is on or after July 1st after you complete your junior year of high school.

Can enrolled student-athletes call me?
Enrolled student athletes may not make recruiting phone calls to you. Enrolled students (non-athletes) may phone you as part of a college's regular admissions program directed at all prospective students.

Correspondences and Recruiting Materials

From whom can I receive letters? Beginning when?
Coaches, faculty members and students (but NOT boosters) can send you letters starting September 1 of your junior year in high school.

What can an institution send me?
After September 1st of your junior year, a Division I institution may provide you with the following materials:

  • General correspondence, including e-mail messages, business cards, letters, U.S. Postal Service post cards, institutional note cards, and materials printed on plain white paper with black ink;
  • NCAA educational information;
  • Pre-enrollment information subsequent to signing a National Letter of Intent with the institution;
  • One athletic publication for each sport it sponsors (media guide or recruiting guide) printed in only one color (inside the covers);
  • Official academic admissions and student services publications or video tapes produced by the institutions and available to all students;
  • Questionnaires;
  • One (1) wallet-size playing schedule card;
  • One (1) student handbook provided a National Letter of Intent has already been signed

Can an institution send me anything prior to my junior year?
Only questionnaires and summer camp brochures.

Can any other material be mailed to me?
No, spare game programs, which may not include posters, can be provided only during official or unofficial visits to the institution's campus.

Duquesne Dukes Logo


Promo Graphic

Dukes Social

SPONSORED BY:   Schneider Downs


  • Loading Tweets...
    1 second ago