Visit Our Photo Gallery

Men's Basketball

Hot Shooting New Hampshire Defeats #DUQMBB, 84-81



Nov. 13, 2013

Box Score |  Photo Gallery 

PITTSBURGH - New Hampshire hit 15 3-pointers, including 8-of-12 in the second half, to defeat Duquesne 84-81 at the Palumbo Center.

Tra'Vaughn White led four Dukes in double figures with 18 points. Ovie Soko added 14, Dominique McKoy had 13 and Derrick Colter, whose 3-point attempt at the final horn glanced off the front rim, finished with 12.

Scott Morris, who came off the bench to hit five 3-pointers, led UNH with 17 points. Patrick Konan had 16 and six-ten center Chris Pelcher had 14 points and 16 rebounds for the Wildcats who shot 53.2 percent from the field and 55.6 percent from the 3-point arc.

Duquesne outscored New Hampshire 21-3 from the foul line, but it wasn't enough to overcome UNH's 15-of-27 performance from long distance.

"We got thoroughly outplayed tonight, pretty much from start to finish," said Duquesne head coach Jim Ferry. "I thought we lacked a complete defensive disposition from the start of the basketball game to the end. When a team comes into your gym an hits 15 threes ... it looked like we were running in cement on defense, and for as fast as we are that is unacceptable. We never got them out of their comfort zone."

DU rallied from an early 13-point deficit to take a 42-38 lead at the half. UNH tied it on three occasions before taking a 62-61 lead on its fourth 3-pointer of the half, this one by Daniel Dion. The Wildcats upped the lead to four on a Morris 3-pointer - his third of the half.

Dion added another 3-pointer, UNH's seventh in just under 13 minutes, to make it 73-66 with 7:22 left.

Duquesne pulled within one on a Micah Mason 3-pointer from the corner with 2:02 left. White then scored on a drive and was fouled, but missed a free throw, giving DU an 81-80 lead.

Konan answered with a layup to give UNH the lead with 41 seconds remaining.

On the ensuing possession, White was stripped of the ball by Konan on a drive with 16 seconds on the clock.

Duquesne, which was under the limit, had to foul four times in the backcourt before sending Morris to the line with 4.8 seconds left.

Morris converted the one-and-one, setting the stage for one final play. Colter drove the length of the court, but his long 3-pointer from the top of the key bounced off the front rim at the horn.

Duquesne fell behind 13-2 before White converted the Dukes' first field goal on a three-point play at the 15:26 mark. UNH took its largest lead at 18-5 on a Frank Okeke 3-pointer one minute later.

Duquesne cut the lead to six on a 3-pointer from Mason and a 3-pointer and three-point play from Colter. A fast break layup by White made it 25-22 with 9:20 to go.

The Dukes took their first lead at 28-27 on a White drive at the 7:47 mark.

"When you score 81 points at home, you should win - if you defend just a little bit," said Ferry. "We didn't defend at all."

Duquesne hits the road for the first time this season to face West Virginia (1-1) on Sunday, Nov. 17. The game, set for a 4:00 p.m. start, will be televised by ROOT Sports Pittsburgh.


• Duquesne shot 42.2 percent, including 6-of-22 (.273) from the 3-point arc. The Dukes went 21-of-31 from the foul line to 3-of-4 for UNH.

• New Hampshire outrebounded Duquesne 40-32.

• The Dukes finished with just five turnovers.

• There were five ties and eight lead changes.

• McKoy pulled down a career high nine rebounds.

• Mason finished with nine points, three assists and a career-high three steals in 23 minutes off the bench.



      Photo of the Week