Cornell's Big Second Half Downs @DuqMBB, 78-71
Nov. 27, 2017
PITTSBURGH - Matt Morgan scored 15 of his 24 points in the second half to lead Cornell (3-3) to a 78-71 win over Duquesne at the Palumbo Center.
Rene Castro-Caneddy tied his career high with a game-high 26 points for the Dukes, who dropped to 2-2.
There were five ties and five lead changes before Cornell took its first lead since the first four minutes of the game on a Morgan jumper with 12:04 left. Morgan added a 3-pointer to make it a four-point game, before Castro-Caneddy cut it to one on a 3-pointer with 10:24 on the clock. It would be DU’s only field goal over the next 10 minutes.
Wil Bathurst followed Castro-Caneddy’s three with a layup to start an 11-0 Cornell run. Morgan followed with a dunk and Josh Warren added a 3-pointer and layup to make it 65-53 at the 6:02 mark. Steve Julian made it a 13-point game on a dunk a little less than one minute later.
DU ended its field goal drought on a Mike Lewis II 3-pointer with 1:56 left. Castro-Caneddy, who scored 10 in the last 1:11, made it 72-66 on a pair of free throws with 54 seconds left, but the Dukes could get no closer.
Lewis II went 4-of-10 from 3-point in adding 13 points for Duquesne. Freshman Eric Williams Jr. posted his second double-double in four games with 12 points and a game-high 10 rebounds for DU.
Stone Gettings added 19 points for Cornell, which shot 56.4 percent.
There were three ties and four lead changes in the first half, before Williams Jr. started a 9-1 run with a 3-pointer. The Dukes led 35-27, before the Big Red cut it to three on a five-point possession with under 30 seconds left in the half. Gettings was fouled on a layup and missed the ensuing free throw. Cornell rebounded and Jack Gordon was fouled on a 3-point make with two seconds left to make it 35-32 at the half.
Duquesne maintained the lead until Morgan’s jumper in the lane put the Big Red up 50-49.
DU, which finished at 34.9 percent, was outscored 44-26 in the paint.
Duquesne returns to action on Friday, Dec. 1 when it takes on Pitt in the annual City Game at 7:00 p.m. at PPG Paints Arena.
• Freshman Tydus Verhoeven made his first career start ... Verhoeven, who entered the game tied for third nationally in blocked shots per game (12 in 3g.), finished with two rejections.
• Fellow freshman Eric Williams Jr. posted his second double-double in four games with 12 points and a game-high 10 rebounds.
• Mike Lewis II scored 13 points in 24 minutes off the bench (4-of-10 from 3-point) ... the sophomore guard added a career high-tying four steals.
• Duquesne finished with 10 assists and seven turnovers, while Cornell had 20 and 12.
• Duquesne’s largest lead was eight at 35-27 with :24 left in the first half ... Cornell’s largest lead was 13, the last of which came at 71-58 with 1:57 left ... Duquesne led for 23:50 and Cornell led for 12:21 ... the game was tied for 3:49.