Duquesne and UMass split home wins last season.
Jan. 14, 2013
Game Notes | Duquesne Streaming Audio | Gametracker
G #17 / DUQUESNE (7-9, 0-2) at MASSACHUSETTS (11-4, 1-1)
Thursday, Jan. 17, 2013 • 7:00 EST• Amherst, Mass. • Mullins Center (9,493)
Radio: WPGB-FM 104.7 with Ray Goss (`58) (pxp), Jarrett Durham (`71) (analyst)
Streaming Audio: www.RedZoneMedia.com
Television: CBS Sports Network with Tom McCarthy (pxp), Steve Wolf (analyst)
• Duquesne (7-9, 0-2), looks to end a four-game losing streak when it heads to Amherst, Mass. to face Massacusetts (11-4, 1-1) on Thursday, Jan. 17 at 7:00 p.m. in a game that will be televised nationally by CBS Sports Network with Tom McCarthy and Steve Wolf calling the action.
• DU, which hasn't won on the road since Nov. 28 (1-6 on the road), will be facing a UMass team that has won 18 of its last 20 at home, including a 92-83 Mullins Center victory over DU in the first round of last year's A-10 Championship. DU's eight returnees combined for 34 of DU's 83 points and 90 of a possible 200 minutes in the season-ending defeat.
• UMass has won eight of nine, while DU has dropped five of its past six.
• Three of DU's top five scorers are freshmen: Derrick Colter (13.3 ppg.), Quevyn Winters (8.4) and Jeremiah Jones (7.1). Colter (Dec. 17 & 24) and Winters (Dec. 31) combined to earn A-10 Rookie of the Week honors for three-straight weeks in December. Colter, who has scored in double digits in his past eight games (17.0 ppg. over that span), is tied for the team lead in scoring (13.3 ppg. with Sean Johnson) and leads in assists (80/5.0 apg.) ... only four players in school history have led the Dukes in scoring and assists - all were seniors: Aaron Jackson (19.3/5.7 in 2009), Bryant McAllister (19.7/4.8 in 2006), Courtney Wallace (16.6/3.4 in 2001) and Mike James (17.5/3.5 in 1998).
The Last Meeting
March 6, 2012
• Duquesne will return to Pittsburgh immediately following the UMass game. The Dukes will have one day to prepare for Saturday night's CONSOL Energy Center clash with No. 22 (AP) VCU.
SERIES QUICK NOTES
• This is the 61st game in a series that dates back to Jan. 11, 1975 ... Massachusetts leads 35-25 including an 18-7 advantage in games at Amherst (plus 1-0 at Springfield) ... the two split last season (DU 80-69 in Pittsburgh & UMass 92-83 in the A-10 Championship at Amherst).
• Duquesne has won four of the past six with the first loss coming in overtime at Pittsburgh, 84-80, on Feb. 11, 2010 - a game in which UMass rallied from a 50-34 deficit with 17:16 left - and the second coming last year at UMass in the A-10 Championship First Round (92-83).
• DU snapped an 11-game Minutemen series home win streak with a 94-77 win in 2009 ... it was DU's first win at Amherst since Jan. 14, 1989 ... DU followed that with a 91-81 win in the first round of the Atlantic 10 Championship in Atlantic City to post back-to-back victories over the Minutemen for the first time since 2004 ... in 2011, the Dukes took an 81-63 decision at Amherst giving them back-to-back wins at Mullins Center - a streak which was snapped in last year's A-10 Championship game at Mullins.
• The series had been one of home court advantage until recently (UMass leads 18-7 at home and DU holds a 14-12 edge at Pittsburgh) ... Massachusetts has won three of the past four in Pittsburgh, while Duquesne has won two of is past three at Amherst.
• Danny Nee's Dukes snapped a 16-game series losing streak (dating back to 1991) with a 78-69 win over the Minutemen on February 6, 2002 at the Palumbo Center ... since then, UMass has won seven and Duquesne has won six.
TWO BIG WINS AT MULLINS
Duquesne has handed UMass two of its 12 largest margins of defeat in the history of the Mullins Center in two of its last three vists to Amherst: 94-77 (+17) on Feb. 25, 2009 and 81-63 (+18) on Feb. 16, 2011 ... the streak ended with a 92-83 defeat in the First Round of last year's Atlantic 10 Championship ... the back-to-back road wins in 2009 & 2011 marked the first time since 1984 & 1985 that DU won two in a row at Massachusetts ... the 18-point margin of victory two years ago tied the fourth-largest in a conference road game DU history, it also tied UMass' ninth-largest margin of defeat (at the time) at Mullins Center ... DU set Mullins Center opponent records for 3-pointers made and attempted (12-of-31) in a 101-87 loss on Jan. 21, 2007 and tied the record for makes and set a new record for attempts (12-of-33) in last year's A-10 Tournament game ... DU also holds the Mullins Center opponent record with its 17 steals in 2011.
UMASS THIS YEAR
UMass (11-4, 1-1) was picked to finish 5th the Atlantic 10 in the preseason poll of league coaches ... the Minutemen, who are 5-1 at home and 5-1 on the road (1-2 neutral), are coming off a 77-73 win at Fordham on Sunday ... UMass comes into Thursday's game as one of the hottest teams in the A-10 having won eight of its last nine games ... the Minutemen are led by preseason First Team All-A-10 guard Chaz Williams (15.8 ppg., 7.3 apg., 28 steals, 22 3-pointers) ... Williams had a game-high 22 points and 7 assists in the win over Fordham ... the Minutemen own notable non-conference wins over Harvard (67-64), Providence (77-75) and Ohio (85-76).
SAINT JOSEPH'S LEFTOVERS
Notes from Duquesne's 74-66 loss to Saint Joseph's on Saturday ... the defeat snapped a five-game DU home win streak ... Duquesne never led in the game that was tied three times (last at 51-51 with 9:43 left) ...the Dukes trailed by two (66-64) with 2:10 left before SJU's Langston Galloway hit the first of back-to-back jumpers to give the Hawks a six-point lead ... DU would get no closer that six the rest of the way ... Andre Marhold led Duquesne with his first career double-double (13-11) .... Sean Johnson had 13 points and Derrick Colter added 11 points and 5 assists ... sophomore forward Mamadou Datt grabbed 8 rebounds in 15 minutes off the bench in his second game back ... Datt sat out the first semester to concentrate on academics ... DU outrebounded SJU 47-33 and outscored the Hawks 30-18 in the paint ... the Dukes also had three more field goals than Saint Joe's ... SJU had four more 3-pointers and outscoured DU 19-9 from the foul line ... SJU forwards Daryus Quarles (2-of-9) and Papa Ndao (5-of-17), who entered the game a combined 7-of- 26 from 3-point, hit 4-of-5 3-point attempts between them (Quarles was 3-of-3) ... Saint Joseph's was without 6-8, 256-pound junior forward Halil Kanacevic (7.1, 7.2 in 30.3 min./g.) who did not travel with the team due to a death in his family.
ON THE ROAD
Duquesne, which won a total of 17 road games in 10 seasons from 1997 through 2006, has posted 34 road wins over the past seven seasons. Of the 34 wins, 25 have come by double digits. From 1996-97 through 2005-06 Duquesne posted a total of three double-digit road victories. DU is 1-6 on the road this season with a 73-72 win at Appalachian State on Nov. 28.
• Duquesne's rebound margin is +8.8 at home and -4.5 on the road (including neutral-site games) ... DU which was outrebounded 132-88 in road losses at Louisiana-Lafayette (33-26), at Penn State (50-28) and at Fordham (49-34), outboarded Saint Joseph's 47-33 on Saturday.
• DU is holding opponents to .399 shooting at home (.474 in road and neutral-site games).
• Freshman Derrick Colter has scored in double digits in eight consecutive games ... he is averaging 17.0 points (21-of-56, .375 from 3-point) and 5.8 assists per game over that span (136 points, 46 assists with 23 turnovers) ... he has hit at least three 3-pointers in six of his past eight games.
• Sophomore Kadeem Pantophlet has pulled down at least six rebounds in 10 of his past 12 games ... his season average stands at 5.5 rpg. ... he averaged 1.8 rpg. as a freshman ... Pantophlet's 13 points at Fordham on Jan. 9 were his most since 14 vs. Maine on Dec. 1 (a span of eight games).
• Sophomore forward Mamadou Datt, who sat out the first semester to concentrate on academics, has 12 rebounds in 25 minutes of two games ... he had 8 boards in 15 minutes off the bench vs. Saint Joseph's.