PREVIEW: Duquesne at Dayton
Feb. 2, 2017
Duquesne (9-14, 2-8) heads to Dayton (16-5, 7-2) for their first rematch of the Atlantic 10 season on Saturday, Feb. 4 at 12:30 p.m. The game will be televised nationally by NBCSN with Ryan Burr & David Kaplan on the call. DU, which is in the midst of a stretch of four-of-five on the road, will be playing before its third consecutive road sellout crowd (at Davidson and at Richmond are the others). UD took the first meeting between the two, by a 76-57 score at PPG Paints Arena on Jan. 14.
• Lewis II & Mike have combined to earn Atlantic 10 Rookie of the Week six times (three each). It is the first time DU has had two multiple Rookies of the Week in the same year. The last A-10 team to have two rookies earn the honor at least three times in a season is Saint Louis in 2005-06 (Tommie Liddell six times and Kevin Lisch three times).
SERIES QUICK NOTES
• Duquesne, which lost 16 in a row to Dayton from 1997 through 2004, is 8-13 against the Flyers in the past 21 games.
• Last year, Dayton swept the season series, winning 66-58 at the Palumbo Center on Jan. 2 and 76-74 at UD Arena on Feb. 9. The win in Pittsburgh was Duquesne’s second game without injured starter Jeremiah Jones (season-ending knee injury). DU was also without second-leading scorer Micah Mason, who missed the game with an ankle injury. UD, which was ranked No. 19 (AP) at the time, rallied from a 12-point deficit with under six minutes left to pull out the win at Dayton. In the first meeting this year, Dayton held the Dukes to a season-low 57 points in a 76-57 win at PPG Paints Arena (Jan. 14). Mike Lewis II and Emile Blackman led the Dukes, who went 3-of-21 from 3-point, with 17 and 14 points respectively.
• Dayton, the preseason pick to finish 1st in the A-10, is coming off a 75-66 win at Fordham on Tuesday. Kendall Pollard led the Flyers with 25 points.
School -- Points/g.
• Lewis II (13.2 ppg.) and Isiaha Mike (10.4 ppg.) are the highest scoring freshman duo in the Atlantic 10.
• Grad transfer Emile Blackman, who is averaging 14.5 ppg. in conference play, is scoring at a 17.7 ppg. clip in his past three games. He is 8-of-14 from 3-point over that span.
• Rene Castro came off the bench to score 11 points and hand out a team-high three assists with one turnover in 25 minutes vs. St. Bonaventure. Castro has 21 assists and 10 turnovers in conference play.
• The Dukes are 6-5 when turning it over fewer than 15 times and 6-5 when outrebounding their opponent.
• DU has held seven teams under 40 percent shooting this season: Loyola, Md. (.365), UT Martin (.348), Cleveland State (.385), Pitt (.333), Jackson State (.355), Colgate (.371) & at Fordham (.388). The Dukes are 6-1 in those games.