Eric Evans scored 13 points in DU's 78-66 upset of No. 19 (AP) Temple last year at the Palumbo Center.
Feb. 16, 2012
Duquesne Game Notes
GAME 26 / DUQUESNE (15-10, 6-5) at TEMPLE (20-5, 9-2)
Saturday, Feb. 18, 2012 • 2:00 ET
Philadelphia, Pa. • Liacouras Center (10,206)
Radio: WPGB-FM 104.7
Ray Goss (‘58) (pxp), Jarrett Durham (‘71) (analyst), Greg Linnelli (‘03) (producer)
Streaming Audio: www.RedZoneMedia.com
Television: CBS Sports Network (regional)
Tom McCarthy (pxp), John Griffin (analyst)
The Comcast Network in Pittsburgh
Streaming Video: www.OwlSports.com
Live Stats: www.OwlSports.com
• Duquesne (15-10, 6-5), winner of three of its past four, heads to Philadelphia for a clash with Atlantic 10 leader Temple (20-5, 9-2) on Saturday, Feb. 18 at 2:00 in game that will be televised regionally by CBS Sports Network. The game features the second (Temple at 75.4 ppg.) and third (Duquesne at 74.0 ppg.) leading scoring teams in the Atlantic 10.
• Temple, which extended its win streak to nine with a 76-70 victory at St. Bonaventure on Wednesday, began the week just out of both the AP (26th) and ESPN/USA Today (27th) Top 25 polls ... this is the first time in three years that the Dukes will be facing an unranked Owls team ... Temple was ranked No. 19 by AP in both 2010 (a 76-60 Owls win at Philadelphia) and 2011 (a 78-66 Duquesne upset in Pittsburgh).
• Temple, which has won 33 of its past 35 home games, is 10-1 at home this season ... Duquesne is 3-6 on the road (2-3 in A-10 road games) ... DU has lost eight in a row at Liacouras Center, including two under current head coach Ron Everhart ... Duquesne’s last win at Temple was Jan. 30, 1995 (62-55).
• Eight of DU’s first 11 conference games have been against RPI Top 100 schools (Rhode Island, Richmond & Fordham are the exceptions) ... Temple (18 RPI) is the ninth.
• According to Basketball State, Duquesne has faced the fourth-toughest schedule among the Atlantic 10’s 14 schools (through Wednesday): Saint Joseph’s (26th), Dayton (51st), Xavier (54th), DUQUESNE (55th), Temple (57th), George Washington (63rd), Saint Louis (71st), Rhode Island (94th), St. Bonaventure (103rd), Richmond (105th), La Salle (122nd), Charlotte (125th), UMass (139th) and Fordham (158th). • The Dukes, who led the nation is assists (17.8), steals (9.9) and turnover margin (+6.7) last year are averaging 15.8 assists and 8.0 steals ... DU began the week ranked third in NCAA Division I in turnover margin (+5.5) behind Syracuse (+6.8) and VCU (+5.7).
• Senior guard Eric Evans enters the Temple game needing three assists to become the 10th 1,000-point/300 assist man in school history (1,003/297) ... Evans reached the 1,000-point mark with a layup at the 18:13 mark of the second half against Fordham on Feb. 15.
• DU, which has started nine lineups in the past 17 games, has had its roster intact for five of 11 conference games (with an asterisk at Rhode Island & at St. Bonaventure) ... the URI game was B.J. Monteiro’s first after having 25 stitches removed from his left hand ... Monteiro played with the hand heavily taped for his first three games back ... Andre Marhold suffered a concussion during the URI game and missed games vs. UMass and at Saint Louis before making his return against La Salle ... the DU roster was intact for four games, although leading scorer Sean Johnson missed the entire week before the St. Bonaventure game with strep throat (5 points in 16 minutes off the bench), before Jerry Jones missed the Fordham game due to illness.
• Ten players have started at least once and nine are averaging double-digit minutes ... T.J. McConnell is the only player to start every game this season ... DU has had at least four double-digit scorers in 11 of 25 games (DU is 10-1 in those games).
• Duquesne is 3-6 on the road, including a 2-3 mark in A-10 play ... DU snapped George Mason’s 18-game home win streak with a 75-64 victory at the Patriot Center on Dec. 21 ... it was GMU’s first double-digit home loss since February of 2007 ... DU also posted its first win at Rhode Island since 2004 (78-71 on Jan. 14) ... the Dukes’ 83-73 win at Dayton on Feb. 1 marked the school’s largest margin of victory ever on the road against the Flyers.
• Ron Everhart inherited a Duquesne program that had won a total of 17 road games in the 10 seasons prior to his arrival. In his six seasons, Everhart’s Dukes have posted 32 road wins. Of the 32 wins, 24 have been by double digits. From 1996-97 through 2005-06 Duquesne posted a total of three double-digit road victories.
• DU head coach Ron Everhart (98-84) needs three wins to join Chick Davies (314-106), Red Manning (247-138) and Dudey Moore (191-70) in the Duquesne 100-win club ... Everhart enters the Temple game with a 45-46 record in Atlantic 10 regular-season play ... the only coach in DU history to post a +.500 mark in conference play was Mike Rice who went 24-23 from 1978-79 through 1981-82.
THE SERIES: Temple leads the series 39-14, including a 20-5 advantage in games played at Philadelphia ... Duquesne has won just three of the past 18 meetings - with all three wins coming at home (two under current head coach Ron Everhart) ... Danny Nee’s Dukes snapped an eight-game series losing streak with a 61-54 win at Pittsburgh on Jan. 8, 2003 ... on Jan. 27, 2007, DU rallied from 12 down with 11:55 left to defeat the Owls 96-92 at Palumbo Center ... last year, the Dukes upset No. 19 (AP) Temple 78-66 at Palumbo Center ... the win upped DU’s record against ranked Temple teams to 2-13 ... it was the Dukes’ first win over a ranked TU team since Feb. 25, 1956 at No. 10 Temple (66-64) ... Temple has won the past eight meetings in Philadelphia by an average score of 79.8-56.1 (+23.7 ppg.) ... DU’s last win at Temple was on Jan. 30, 1995 by a 62-55 score ... the closest of the six games prior Ron Everhart’s arrival was a 75-62 Temple win (+13) on Jan. 21, 1998 ... in the Dukes’ first trip to Temple under Everhart, the Owls needed all of Dionte Christmas’ 37 points in a 90-85 win on Mar. 5, 2008 ... in 2010 No. 19 (AP) Temple outrebounded DU 35-19 in posting a 76-60 victory ... DU closed the game with a 15-4 run for the 16-point final margin ... this is the third time the Dukes will face a Fran Dunphy-coached Temple team at Liacouras Center ... Duquesne, which had lost 26 consecutive games in the city of Philadelphia (that includes vs. Temple, Saint Joseph’s and La Salle plus the Atlantic 10 Tournament), ended that streak in head coach Ron Everhart’s second game at Philadelphia in 2006-07 (a 111-105 win at La Salle) ... the Dukes followed that win another win at La Salle in 2008, marking the first time since 1995 that a Duquesne team won consecutive games in the City of Brotherly Love ... Everhart’s DU teams are 5-4 in Philadelphia (with four wins at La Salle and one at Saint Joseph’s) ... Everhart is 2-4 vs. the Owls (2-1 at home, 0-2 on the road and 0-1 at the A10 Championship).
TEMPLE THIS YEAR: Temple is 10-1 at home with the lone loss coming to Dayton (87-77) on Jan. 7 ... TU has won 34 of its last 36 games at Liacuoras Center and is 55-7 (.887) at home since the start of the 2007-08 season ... the Owls are led by one of the most talented guard trios in the nation in 6-4 senior Ramone Moore (18.8 ppg., 79 assists, 47 3-pointers), 6-4 junior Khalif Wyatt (16.7 ppg,, 76 assists, 45 3-pointers) and 6-4 senior Juan Fernandez (11.2 ppg., 95 assists, 49 3-pointers) ... the Owls own noteworthy wins over Wichita State (78-74 in OT at Puerto Rico), No. 3/5 Duke (78-73), at Saint Louis (72-67) over Maryland (73-60) and over Xavier (85-72).
FORDHAM LEFTOVERS: Notes from Duquesne’s 77-67 win over Fordham on Wednesday ... DU, which never trailed, saw a 17-point lead with 17:45 left shrink to one in the span of six and one-half minutes only to pull away for the win ... B.J. Monteiro, who scored 23 points in the first half, led the way with a career-high 30 points and 8 rebounds ... Monteiro, a career .524 free throw shooter, went 9-of-11 from the stripe ... the makes and attempts were both career highs ... his 30 points were the most by a Duquesne player since Melquan Bolding had 32 in a 111-100 win over Fordham on March 5, 2010 ... T.J. McConnell added 13 points, 7 rebounds, 6 assists and 5 steals and Sean Johnson added 13 points and 6 boards ... Eric Evans (9 points) joined the 1,000-point club with a driving layup with 18:13 left ... DU, which shot 40.4 percent, held the Rams to 36.1 percent ... the Dukes, who were outrebounded 52-36, finished with 17 assists and 9 turnovers ... DU forced 16 Fordham turnovers.
0 • Andre Marhold
Junior Andre Marhold has started 17 times after coming off the bench in 38 games as a freshman and sophomore ... scored a career-high 17 points vs. Green Bay ... posted double-digit rebounds vs. Tennessee Tech (career-high 11) and Robert Morris (10) ... has a team-high 42 offensive rebounds ... shooting .505 from the field and .443 from the foul line ... leads the team with 18 dunks and 36 blocks, including a career-high four rejections vs. both Houston Baptist and at Xavier ... had two of his three blocks in the first meeting with St. Bonaventure in a span of 25 seconds to fuel a big 13-0 second half run ... suffered a concussion at Rhode Island which forced him to miss games vs. UMass and at Saint Louis ... made his return with a start vs. La Salle on Jan. 28 (four points and four boards in 22 minutes) ... averaged 7.0 rebounds in 27.0 minutes in the three games prior to being injured and 3.4 rpg. in 22.8 min/g. in five post-injury games ... the injury ended his streak of 20 consecutive games played - including the first 18 games in 2011-12.
1 • Mike Talley
Just under 35 percent of sophomore Mike Talley’s points have come from the foul line (65 of 188 total points) ... a .389 3-point shooter as a freshman, Talley is shooting .243 from the arc (17-of-70) ... he is at .346 from the field ... has scored in double digits six times with a season-high 16 at Western Michigan ... had 14 vs. UDC and 12 vs. Louisiana-Lafayette ... scored 11 of his 13 points in 13 second-half minutes in the win at Rhode Isand ... scored all 15 of his points in 13 first half minutes off the bench at Dayton ... DU is 14-2 all time when Talley scores 10 or more ... turned in an outstanding defensive performance in helping limit UMass guard Chaz Williams to 8 points, 4 assists and 7 turnovers in an 80-69 Dukes win on Jan. 18 ... broke out of a 4-of-19 3-point shooting slump in conference play by going 2-of-4 from the arc at Dayton.
2 • P.J. Torres
Freshman P.J. Torres has seen action in eight games including three of the past four A10 contests ... hit a 3-pointer in his first career field goal attempt at Valparaiso ... also scored three points in three minutes late in the loss at Xavier ... hit a 3-pointer and contributed solid defense in the first half of the win at Dayton ... followed that with a season-high six minutes vs. Richmond (2 points, 2 rebounds & 2 assists) ... logged six additional minutes vs. Fordham.
3 • Eric Evans
Senior Eric Evans reached the 1,000 point mark with a layup at the 18:13 mark of the second half vs. Fordham on Feb. 15 ... needs three assists to become the 10th 1,000-300 player in school history (has 1,003 points and 297 assists entering the Temple game) ... has played in 113 career games with 59 starts ... has 67 assists and 29 turnovers (2.3-to-1 ratio) this season ... has had two or fewer turnovers in all but two games this season ... has scored in double digits in 15 of 25 games ... Evans, who entered the Robert Morris game 4-of-27 from 3-point, hit 3-of-6 in scoring 16 points ... he followed that by setting a new season high with 20 points vs. Penn State (9-of-11 from the line) ... is shooting .735 from the foul line ... has scored in double digits 50 times and has reached the 20-point mark on three occasions in his career ... the 20-point game vs. PSU was his first since a career-high 23 vs. Fordham on Mar. 5, 2010 (his sophomore season) ... came off the bench to score all 12 of his points in the second half of DU’s 75-64 win at George Mason ... ended a six-game 0-of-10 streak from the 3-point arc with a pair of “3s” at Saint Louis (2-of-4 from the arc, 12 points) ... it was his second game this season with multiple 3-pointers ... scored nine of his 12 points in the win at Dayton in the second half ... was 6-of-11 in scoring a team-high 17 in the win over Richmond ... had five assists in 25 turnover-free minutes vs. Fordham.
4 • Danny Herrera
Freshman Danny Herrera, who had two points in two games, scored 8 points in 6 minutes vs. HBU ... he went 2-of-2 from the 3-point arc ... has played in six games.
5 • Jerry Jones
Sophomore Jerry Jones, who scored 25 points in 26 games last year, eclipsed that point total in DU’s seventh game ... grabbed a then career high seven boards (six offensive) in 19 minutes vs. Robert Morris and followed that with a then career high 14 points vs. Penn State ... it was just the second double-digit scoring game of his career (he had 10 in 15 minutes off the bench vs. Louisiana-Lafayette) ... topped that with 19 points (on 8-of-9 shooting) in 21 minutes off the bench vs. Houston Baptist ... scored 10 in 22 minutes at Dayton ... set a new career rebounding high with eight in 24 minutes vs. Richmond ... added 14 points against the Spiders ... has 30 turnovers in 49 career games ... shooting 20-of-57 (.351) from the 3-point arc ... hit three “3’s” vs. both Louisiana and Houston Baptist ... added two more against Richmond ... was 3-of-18 from the arc last season ... had eight points, six rebounds and two steals in a career high 31 minutes vs. UMass ... is 21-of-28 from the foul line (.750) ... was 0-of-4 from the stripe as a freshman ... shooting .491 ... tied for second on team with 36 offensive boards ... has started eight times and scored in double digits five times (all off the bench) ... the Dukes are 5-0 when he scores 10 or more.
20 • T.J. McConnell
Stat-sheet stuffing sophomore guard T.J. McConnell, who has a 2.3-to-1 career assist-to-turnover ratio (284-124), leads the team in assists (5.8 apg.) and steals (3.0 spg.) ... his steals per game average ranks second nationally ... his current assists/g. average has a chance to challenge the DU single-season record ... is averaging 2.89 steals per game for his career (165 in 57 games) ... has started 55 of his 57 career games played ... is shooting .511 for his career (.528 this season) ... began the week as one of 10 D-I players to post a triple-double this season ... posted the second triple-double in school history with 15 points, 10 rebounds and 11 assists vs. the University of the District of Columbia on Nov. 18 ... had near misses against St. Bonaventure (13-7-8a) and at Rhode Island (16-8-8a) ... the 11 assists vs. UDC, in addition to being a career high, were one shy of the school record ... it was the second 10+ assist game of his career ... also threw down his first career dunk against UDC ... posted his 100th assist of 2011-12 in game 16 vs. St. Bonaventure (13 points, 7 rebounds, 8 assists & 4 steals) ... is one of nine players in school history with multiple 100-assist seasons (he had 140 in 32 games as a freshman) ... his 144 assists are 16 shy of breaking the DU sophomore record of 159 set by Clayton Adams in 1988-89 ... matched the 15 points vs. UDC with 15 more against No. 17 (AP) Pitt... tied his career high with 20 points (7-of-11) against Bowling Green ... hit a then career-high four 3-pointers (4-of-7) against the Falcons ... topped that with 28 points, including 5-of-6 from 3-point, in an 84-82 OT loss to Saint Joseph’s ... has had five steals in a game five times, including back-to-back games vs. Green Bay & UDC (also at Western Michigan & vs. Fordham) ... has had at least two steals in 22 of 25 games ... has led or tied for the team lead in assists 22 times ... has also led DU in rebounding seven times ... handed out nine assists with one turnover vs. Houston Baptist ... is 17-of-29 (.586) from the 3-point arc and .900 (18-of-20) from the foul line in Atlantic 10 play (13.2, 4.8, 5.2a, 2.8s in conference action).
22 • Kadeem Pantophlet
Freshman Kadeem Pantophlet scored a career high 14 points on 5-of-5 shooting (4-of-4 from 3-point) at Valparaiso on Nov. 20 ... he had two points in four games prior to the outburst ... scored eight with four rebounds in 16 minutes at Western Michigan ... made his first career start at George Mason and followed that with a second start vs. Bowling Green ... added three 3-pointers in scoring 11 in the A-10 opener vs. Saint Joseph’s ... also had a season-high six rebounds against the Hawks ... had three assists in five minutes at Rhode Island ... has bounced back from an 0-of-6 start to shoot .366 from the 3-point arc ... is 15-of-35 from the arc (.429) in his past 19 games ... leads the team with eight charges taken.
23 • B.J. Monteiro
Senior B.J. Monteiro enters the Temple game 27th on DU’s scoring list with 1,136 points in 115 games ... scored a then career-high 28 points (11-of-14 from the field) against Bowling Green and followed that with 24 points and a career-high 14 rebounds vs. Houston Baptist to earn Atlantic 10 Player of the Week honors on Jan. 2 (26.0, 11.0 and 4.0a on 66.7% shooting) ... topped his career high with 30 (9-of-11 from foul line) vs. Fordham on Feb. 12 ... completed his double-double vs. HBU with four minutes left in the first half ... Monteiro, who added a career high-tying five assists vs. Houston Baptist, became the 35th member of DU’s 1,000-point club with the first of two free throws with 15:40 to go in the first half ... suffered an off-the-court injury following the HBU game that required stitches in both his left hand and chin ending his team-high streak of consecutive games played at 77 ... he missed DU’s first three A-10 games before returning at Rhode Island (12 points, 7 rebounds, 2 steals in 29 minutes off the bench) ... followed that with a game-high 23 points and 3 blocks in the win over UMass ... hit a career-high four 3-pointers in scoring a team-high 20 at Dayton ... Monteiro, who shot .376 as a freshman, .465 as a sophomore and .464 as a junior, is shooting .483 in 2012 ... Monteiro, who entered the season a .502 career free throw shooter, is 57-of-92 from the line (.620) this year ... has scored in double digits 56 times and topped the 20-point mark 10 time ... has started 81 times ... scored 24 points vs. UDC on Nov. 18 .... added 25 vs. Tennessee Tech on Dec. 3 ... pulled down nine boards vs. Penn State ... had a career-high four steals at George Mason on Dec. 21 and career-best six assists against La Salle on Jan. 28 ... ranks fifth on DU’s all-time blocked shot list with 78.
32 • Sean Johnson
Sean Johnson has scored in double digits in 21 of 25 games ... opened the season with an 11-game double digit scoring streak which was snapped with four points vs. Robert Morris ... was named to the 2K Sports Classic Valparaiso Subregional All-Tournament team on Nov. 20 after averaging 18.7 ppg. on 50 percent shooting in three games ... has attempted a team-high 118 free throws (.788) ... came off the bench in 59 of 62 games as a freshman and sophomore ... has started 22 of 25 games this year ... recorded his first four 20-point games this season: 24 vs. Akron, 25 vs. Tennessee Tech, 24 vs. Houston Baptist & 20 vs. UMass ... added a career-high 10 boards against the Minutemen for his first career double-double ... also hit a career-high four 3-pointers (4-of-5) - including three in a 2:13 span of the first half - against UMass ... scored eight points in 38 seconds during a game-changing 13-0 second-half run in the 66-52 win over St. Bonaventure on Jan. 7 ... converted two three-point plays during the outburst ... scored all 16 of his points in the last 23 minutes against La Salle ... the La Salle game followed a season-low one-point outing at Saint Louis ... has a team-high 20 career “and-ones” (has made good on 20-of-26 career opportunities including 6-of-6 this year) ... entered the season shooting .442 from the field including .290 from 3-point ... has upped those percentages to .454 & .383 this year ... is 17-of-38 from the 3-point arc in conference play (.447).
34 • Mamadou Datt
Freshman Mamadou Datt had his best game as a Duke with eight points and nine rebounds in 29 minutes in his first career start to help DU to a 75-64 win at George Mason on Dec. 21 ... went 4-of-8 with three dunks vs. the Patriots ... had not scored more than two points in his 11 previous games ... added 8 points and 7 rebounds in 11 minutes at Saint Louis on Jan. 21 and followed that with 7 points and 5 boards in 15 minutes vs. La Salle ... grabbed 10 rebounds in DU’s first two games (five each vs. Arizona and Green Bay) ... attempted just 12 field goals in 11 games prior to his breakout at George Mason ... is scoreless with two field goal attempts and five rebounds in his past four games (8.0 min/g.).
35 • Derrick Martin
Redshirt freshman Derrick Martin has seen action in nine of DU’s past 13 games (39 total minutes) ... had 4 points, 3, rebounds and 2 blocks in 9 minutes vs. Houston Baptist ... had two rebounds in five first-half minutes vs. UMass ... posted 2 boards and 2 blocks in a season-high 12 minutes at Saint Louis.