Men's Basketball Season-Ending Quick Notes
March 23, 2010
• This was Duquesne's second post-season appearance in four years under Ron Everhart ... the last time DU made back-to-back post-season appearances was in 1980 & 1981 (NIT both years).
• It is the first time since 1968-73 that Duquesne has won 15 or more games in three-straight seasons (Red Manning's DU teams did it six times from `68-73).
• The Dukes won 10 or more home games for the third-straight season ... the last time that was done was 1968-74 (seven times).
• Damian Saunders was the 12th Duquesne player to be named First Team NABC All-District joining former teammate Aaron Jackson who was named last year. Other DU first-team selections include: Derrick Alston (1994), Mark Stevenson (1990), Rick Suder (1986), Norm Nixon (1977), Willie Somerset (1962, 1964 & 1965), Sihugo Green (1954, 1955 & 1956), Dick Ricketts (1953, 1954 & 1955), Jim Tucker (1954), Chuck Cooper (1950) and Ed Dahler (1950).
• Saunders was the first player in school history to be named Atlantic 10 Defensive Player of the Year ... he was also just the second junior in school history to earn First Team All-A10 (joining Bruce Atkins in 1981).
• Ron Everhart has now coached three Atlantic 10 All-Defense Team picks in four seasons (Kieron Achara in 2007, Shawn James in 2008 & Damian Saunders in 2010).
• Jason Duty was named to the A-10 All-Academic team and the CoSida All-District 2 team for the second consecutive season ... he is the fourth multiple-year academic honoree in DU history and ninth Duke named to the A10 All-Academic Team in the past 10 years.
• Saunders broke his own school record with 89 steals in 32 games ... he came up two steals shy of becoming the first player over 6-6 to lead the nation in steals.
• Saunders' 360 rebounds were the second-most in school history ... only Dick Ricketts with a school record 450 boards in 1954-55 has had more.
• Saunders (1,120 points & 774 rebounds) is on pace to be just the third player in school history to post over 1,000 career points and rebounds ... the only two to do it are Dick Ricketts and Bruce Atkins.
• Duquesne played in a school record six overtime games (2-4), including three that went to double overtime.
• Duquesne held 16 of 32 teams under 40 percent from the field. In the first three seasons under Ron Everhart (93 games), DU held a total of 17 teams under 40 percent ... opponents shot 41.7 percent against the Dukes.
• Five players scored 20 or more points in a game for the Dukes ... La Salle was the only other A-10 team to have five 20-point scorers.