Duquesne Men Back in Action Wednesday Night at George Mason
Dec. 19, 2011
GAME 12 / DUQUESNE (6-5) at GEORGE MASON (7-3)
• Duquesne completes the pre-Christmas portion of the schedule at George Mason on Wednesday, Dec. 21 ... the Dukes head to Virginia looking for their first road win of the season (0-3) ... DU is coming off an 85-71 loss at Western Michigan on Saturday ... the Dukes have not lost back-to-back games this season.
• George Mason, which is 4-0 at home, brings a Patriot Center record-tying 18-game home win streak into Wednesday's game ... GMU has not lost at the Patriot Center since a 101-96 setback to Fairfield on March 16, 2010 (CIT opening-round game) ... the 18 consecutive wins is tied for the 10th-longest active home win streak in the country.
• George Mason leads the series that dates back to Dec. 31, 2001, 4-1 ... the Patriots have won the past four including a double overtime 85-79 decision at DU's Palumbo Center last season.
• George Mason is the eighth of DU's first 12 opponents who made a post-season appearance last year: Akron (W), Arizona (L), Penn State (W) and Pitt (L) along with George Mason all played in the NCAA tournament while Tennessee Tech (W), Valparaiso (L) and Western Michigan (L) all appeared in the College Insider.com Postseason Tournament (CIT).
• Two of DU's five losses have come to ranked teams: 67-59 at No. 16 (AP) Arizona and 80-69 to No. 17 (AP) Pitt at CONSOL Energy Center (neutral-site).
• T.J. McConnell, who has three five-steal games this season, began the week ranked second nationally with a 3.2 steals/g. average ... McConnell, who is also averaging 6.2 assists/g., scored 19 in last year's loss to George Mason ... he had 8 points, 7 assists and 5 steals at WMU.
• Eight players scored in double digits in Duquesne's first six games ... six have scored 15 or more ... DU has had at least four double-digit scorers in six of 11 games (DU is 5-1 in those games).
• The Dukes, who led the nation is assists (17.8), steals (9.9) and turnover margin (+6.7) last season are averaging 15.7 assists and 8.1 steals ... their turnover margin stands at +7.2 ... the Dukes returned 69 percent of their assists and 58.7 percent of their steals from a year ago.
• Duquensne has shot better than 50 percent five times and posted 20 or more assists three times this season ... four regulars - including three starters - are shooting 50 percent or better: Andre Marhold (.563), T.J. McConnell (.516), Sean Johnson (.500) ... Jerry Jones is at (.538) off the bench (.538).
• Under Ron Everhart, Duquesne is ... 83-38 when scoring 70 or more points ... 40-6 when shooting 50 percent or better ... 37-10 when forcing 20 or more turnovers ... 77-12 when leading with 5:00 left.
• The Dukes are 5-1 when scoring 70 or more this season.
• DU has been outscored by 12.7 points per game in its three road losses (236-198 for an average of 78.7-66.0).
• DU's next game will be on Wed., Dec. 28 vs. Bowling Green at Palumbo Center.
PATRIOTS THIS YEAR: George Mason, winner of five of its last six, has been idle since a 76-61 win at Radford on Dec. 10 ... the Patriots are 4-0 at home including a season-opening 92-90 overtime win over Atlantic 10 member Rhode Island ... GMU also owns a noteworthy home win over Bucknell (61-57 on Nov. 30) ... three Mason starters are shooting better than .540 from the field ... leading scorer Ryan Pearson (18.1 ppg.) is at .545, 6-4 sophomore G Sherrod Wright (11.1 ppg.) is shooting .565 and 6-9 senior F Mike Morrison (9.3 ppg.) is at .567 ... the Patriots are shooting .466 as a team ... Pearson, a 6-6, 237-pound senior forward, had 17 points and 11 rebounds in George Mason's double overtime win over Duquesne last December ... Pearson is a preseason All-CAA First Team pick ... GMU is holding opponents to 62.1 ppg. ... opponents are shooting just .286 from the 3-point arc and .382 overall.
NOTING GEORGE MASON: George Mason is a member of the Colonial Athletic Association ... Mason, which has won the past four meetings with Duquesne, leads the series 4-1 ... this is the second game of a home-and-home series ... the Patriots posted the best record in the CAA at 16-2 in 2010-11 ... included in the 16 wins was a 20-point mid-February victory over Final Four participant VCU ... GMU is in its first season under head coach Paul Hewitt ... Hewitt spent the past 11 years as the head coach at Georgia Tech ... Mason returns three starters and nine letterwinners from last year's squad which captured the CAA regular season title and advanced to the NCAA Tournament Third Round while setting a mark for the best single-season record (27-7) in program history ... GMU, which finished the year ranked 11th nationally in 3-point shooting percentage (39.5%), defeated the Dukes 85-79 in double overtime at the Palumbo Center last December ... there were 16 ties and 17 lead changes in the game which was tied at 64-64 at the end of regulation ... the two last met in a home-and-home series in 2003-04 (80-70 loss at home) & 2004-05 (79-58 loss at George Mason) ... GMU advanced to the NCAA Final Four the year after the last series concluded.
WESTERN MICHIGAN LEFTOVERS: Notes from Duquesne's 85-71 loss at Western Michigan on Dec. 17 ... the Dukes, who were coming off a seven-day break for finals, were outscored 44-29 in the first half in dropping their third road game in as many tries this season ... DU, which went 6-of-24 from the 3-point arc, was 2-of-14 in the first half ... the Dukes, who never got closer than 11 in the second half, trailed by as many as 19 in the first and 20 in the second ... Mike Talley went 5-of-9 from the field in scoring a season-high 16 points in 21 minutes off the bench ... Talley entered the WMU game shooting .291 ... T.J. McConnell had 8 points, 7 assists and 5 steals ... Kadeem Pantophlet added 8 points and 4 rebounds in 16 minutes off the bench ... Western Michigan hit a season-high 10 3-pointers (10-of-22) ... the two teams combined for 46 3-point attempts on 106 total attempts ... the Broncos went 21-of-23 from the foul line, Duquesne was 15-of-22.
DUQUESNE QUICK HITS: Senior B.J. Monteiro enters the Mason game needing 42 points to become the 35th member of the Duquesne 1,000-point club ... Monteiro, who shot .376 as a freshman, .465 as a sophomore and .464 as a junior, is shooting .475 through 11 games ... Monteiro, who entered the season a .502 career free throw shooter, is 25-of-42 from the line (.595) this year ... has scored in double digits 48 times in 104 career games ... has started 72 times ... scored a season-high 24 points vs. UDC ... pulled down a season-best nine boards vs. Penn State ... has 27 rebounds in his past four games (6.8 rpg. over that span) ... sophomore guard T.J. McConnell has a 2.34-to-1 career assist-to-turnover ratio (208-89) ... McConnell had a streak of seven-straight 50+ percent shooting games snapped vs. Robert Morris (2-9, 6 pts.) ... leads the team in assists (6.2 apg.) and steals (3.2 spg.) ... his steals per game average ranked second in the NCAA at the start of this week ... is averaging 2.93 steals per game for his career (126 in 43 games) ... has started 41 of his 43 career games played ... is shooting .503 for his career (.516 this season) ... posted the second triple-double in school history with 15 points, 10 rebounds and 11 assists vs. UDC ... the 11 assists, in addition to being a career high, were one shy of the school record ... it was the second 10+ assist game of his career ... the 15 points, which he matched vs. No. 17 (AP) Pitt, are his season high ... had five steals in back-to-back games vs. Green Bay & UDC and again at Western Michigan ... has had at least two steals in 10 of 12 games ... has led the team in assists 10 times ... senior Eric Evans has played in 99 carer games with 47 starts ... he enters the GMU game with 888 career points ... Evans has 32 assists and 13 turnovers (2.5-to-1 ratio) this season ... he has scored in double digits in nine of 11 games ... Evans, who entered the Robert Morris game 4-of-27 from 3-point, hit 3-of-6 in scoring a season-high 16 points ... he followed that by hitting 1-of-4 from the arc in setting a new season high with 20 points vs. Penn State (9-of-11 from the line) ... is 40-of-47 from the foul line this season (.851) ... has scored in double digits 44 times and has reached the 20-point mark on three occasions ... the 20-point game vs. PSU was his first since a career-high 23 vs. Fordham on Mar. 5, 2010 (his sophomore season) ... Sean Johnson saw an 11-game double digit scoring streak snapped with 4 points vs. Robert Morris ... it was the first time Johnson scored fewer than 13 points in a game this season ... Johnson is averaging 15.6 points on an efficient 10.4 field goal attempts per game ... he is 44-of-52 (.846) from the foul line ... came off the bench in 59 of 62 games as a freshman and sophomore ... has started all 11 games this year ... has recorded his first two 20-point games this season: 24 vs. Akron and 25 vs. Tennessee Tech ... has hit eight free throws in a game three times in 2011-12 ... entered the season shooting .442 from the field including .290 from 3-point ... has upped those percentages to .500 & .333 this year ... sophomore Jerry Jones, who scored 25 points in 26 games last year, eclipsed that point total in DU's seventh game ... grabbed a career high seven boards (six offensive) in 19 minutes vs. Robert Morris and followed that with a career-high 14 points vs. Penn State ... it was just the second double-digit scoring game of his career (he had 10 in 15 minutes off the bench vs. Louisiana-Lafayette) ... has just five turnovers in 176 minutes ... shooting 7-of-20 (.350) from the 3-point arc ... was 3-of-18 from the arc last season ... junior Andre Marhold has started 10 times after coming off the bench in 38 games as a freshman and junior ... scored a career-high 17 points vs. Green Bay ... has posted double-digit rebounds vs. Tennessee Tech (career-high 11) and Robert Morris (10) ... just under half of his rebounds have come on the offensive end ... shooting .562 from the field and .412 from the foul line ... leads the team with 16 blocks ... 35 of sophomore Mike Talley's 85 points have come from the foul line (35-of-48) ... a .389 3-point shooter as a freshman, Talley is shooting .235 from the arc (8-of-34) ... he is at .321 from the field ... scored a season-high 16 at Western Michigan ... had 14 vs. UDC and 12 vs. Louisiana-Lafayette ... DU was 12-0 all time when Talley scores 10 or more prior to the loss at WMU ... 14 of Kadeem Pantophlet's 28 points came in the Valparaiso game (5-of-5 from the field with four 3-pointers) ... scored 8 and added 4 rebounds in 16 minutes at Western Michigan ... 10 of Mamadou Datt's 17 rebounds came in DU's first two games (five each vs. Arizona and Green Bay) ... Datt has attempted just 12 field goals in 11 games ... Martins Abele made his first Duquesne start vs. Penn State (two points and three fouls in three minutes) ... he has played 21 minutes in six games.