Austin Stout led the Dukes with a pair of shots.
Sept. 9, 2017
Bucknell scored twice in a span of five minutes of the first half and held on to post a 2-0 win over Duquesne in Lewisburg, Pa. The Dukes were limited to six shots - three in each half - by the Bison defense.
HOW IT HAPPENED
• The match was a back-and-forth affair early, with neither team managing a good scoring chance over the first 10 minutes.
• Ben Dereith broke the ice when he took a cross from Nick King to give the Bison a 1-0 lead in the 24th minute.
• Bucknell’s Ryan Ott made a diving save of a Noah Mehta shot a few minutes later to preserve the advantage.
• Matt Thorsheim made it 2-0 on a shot from close range in the 29th minute.
• The Bison outshot the Dukes 7-3 in the first half and 14-6 for the game.
• Duquesne finished with four shots on goal to six for Bucknell.
• Austin Stout led the Dukes with a pair of shots.
• Bucknell keeper Ryan Ott was credited with three saves in posting second shutout of the season.
STAT OF THE GAME
Bucknell has surrendered just one goal in three home games this season.
DUQUESNE HEAD COACH Chase Brooks
”Road games are always going to be tough and we just didn’t come into this game with the right approach. We spotted them two goals in the first half on plays that could have been avoided, which is something you can’t do at this level. We have got to make sure that we continue to learn from these early-season mistakes, so that when conference play hits we are hitting on all cylinders. It was nice to see come guys step up in the second half and complete. That is something we are going to need more of as we go down the stretch of the season.”
The Dukes return home to host Wright State on Tuesday, September 12 at 7:00 p.m. on Rooney Field. Admission to all Duquesne home matches is free.