Oct. 4, 2017
Saint Lous (3-5-1, 1-1) scored three times in the second half - including twice in the final 10 minutes - to pull away late in a 3-0 win over Duquesne (3-7-1, 1-1) on Rooney Field. Sascha Otte stopped a pair of shots in posting the shutout for SLU.
HOW IT HAPPENED
• Saint Louis had the first nine shots of the match before Duquesne’s Zach Hall managed a header off a set piece that went wide of the net in the 35th minute.
• Saint Louis’ Leo Novaes managed the lone shot on goal of the first half in the 44th minute.
• SLU outshot DU 11-2 in the opening 45 minutes. There were two corner kicks apeice in the half.
• Zion Beaton took a pass from Austin Stout but had his shot from the center of the box blocked before it could reach Otte in the 59th minute.
• Keaton Schieffer broke the scoreless tie with a shot from straight-on in the 61st minute. Shchieffer took a pass from Duncan Corbett and ran a quick give-and-go with Ben Huels before burying the shot from 22 yards out.
• SLU added a second goal in the 81st minute, when Novaes was taken down in the box and Lennart Hein converted the penalty kick to the bottom right corner for his team-high fifth goal of the season.
• Duquesne’s Dorion Dixon had a shot from the near left and an ensuing rebound both turned away by Otte in the 83rd minute.
• SLU finished the scoring on a goal by Corbett in the 87th minute.
• Saint Louis finished with a 22-8 advantage in shots, including a 7-2 margin in shots on goal.
STAT OF THE GAME
Dorion Dixon came off the bench late in the second half to register both of DU’s shots on goal in eight minutes of action.
The Dukes hit the road for Atlantic 10 games at Massachusetts (Oct. 7 at Noon) and at Davidson (Oct. 11 at 7:00 p.m.).