Oct. 11, 2017
Malcolm McCabe came off the bench to score twice in the final 12 minutes to help Davidson (7-4-1, 2-2) to a 3-0 win over Duquesne (3-9-1, 1-3) at Davidson, N.C. Davidson’s Sam Bissett was credited with one save in posting his third shutout of the season. Jason Twum and Ryan Landry led the Dukes with three shots each.
HOW IT HAPPENED
• Davidson’s Matt Reinikka scored the lone goal of the first half on a penalty kick in the 22nd minute. It was his third goal of the season.
• Duquesne had a 5-4 edge in shots in the opening 45 minutes. The teams had one shot on goal apiece.
• Duquesne’s first half shot on goal came off the foot of Jallah Acqui in the 27th minute.
• Davidson sent shots just over the crossbar in the 54th and 57th minutes.
• Zach Hall drew a foul 19 yards from the goal in the 60th minute, but Jesper Evensen’s free kick sailed wide left.
• Davidson was forced to play a man down when leading scorer Coleman Richards picked up his second yellow card and was sent off in the 74th minute.
• Less than three minutes later, McCabe, who came on in the 76th minute, scored off a rebound of a Quinn Dudek shot to make it 2-0 in the 78th minute.
• McCabe added a second goal off a corner kick in the 88th minute. McCabe’s goal came less than a minute after Duquesne’s Scott Rissler robbed Nile Chau on a point blank shot.
• Davidson outshot Duquesne 17-10, including 7-1 on goal.
STAT OF THE GAME
The two teams combined for nine shots in the first half and 18 in the second.
DUQUESNE HEAD COACH Chase Brooks
"This was a tough loss. I thought we played well enough early to get a goal, or two, but going down a goal off the penalty kick hurt. As the second half wore on and we continued to push and push for a goal, the season’s fatigue started to wear on our guys and in the last few minutes we gave up a couple of soft ones that we usually don’t give up. On to the next game, we need to play well against St. Bonaventure."
The Dukes are idle until Oct. 18, when they host St. Bonaventure at 7:00 p.m. in the second-to-last home match of the regular season.