George Poppas scored his second career goal for the Dukes.
Nov. 1, 2017
Ryan Bailey scored in the 76th minute to give Rhode Island (9-5-3, 4-3-1) a 2-1 win over Duquesne (3-13-1, 1-7) in the Dukes’ season finale at Kingston, R.I. George Poppas staked the Dukes to 1-0 lead on his second goal of the season in the 35th minute.
HOW IT HAPPENED
• Duquesne had four shots on goal in the first 26 minutes, including two from Zach Hall and one each from Fredrik Borenstein and Jason Twum.
• George Poppas ended a streak of 559 scoreless minutes for the Dukes when he took a long pass from Ian Larson and headed it past URI’s Nils Leifhelm in the 35th minute. The goal, which found the left corner from the right side, was Poppas’ second of the season and second of his career.
• Rhody finished the half with seven shots to six for DU. Duquesne had one more shot on goal (5-4).
• URI tied it on a goal from Uri Brangman in the 51st minute. Brangman placed a hard shot just under the crossbar off a cross from the near side. It was Brangman’s eighth goal of the season.
• Bailey put the game-winner just inside the right post from a tight angle in the 76th minute.
• Zach Hall led the Dukes with a game-high seven shots, four of which were on goal.
• Rhode Island outshot Duquesne by a slim 14-13 margin, including a 9-7 advantage in shots on goal.
STAT OF THE GAME
George Poppas’ goal in the 35th minute was Duquesne’s first since its 3-1 win over La Salle on Sept. 30.