Aug. 24, 2017
| DUQUESNE MEN'S SOCCER GAMEDAY
||Duquesne (0-0-0) at Saint Francis U (0-0-0)
|Date | Time
||Friday, August 25, 2017 | 1:00 p.m. ET
||Stokes Soccerplex (500) | Loretto, Pa.
|| NEC Front Row
|| Sidearm Stats
Duquesne, which returns seven starters from last year’s 8-5-5 team, opens its 23rd season on Friday, August 25 at Saint Francis U. The game will be streamed live on NEC Front Row (see link above). This is DU’s fifth season under head coach Chase Brooks.
Duquesne has won three of the past four meetings to take a 7-5-4 all-time series lead. In games at Loretto, the two are tied 3-3-2. Last year, Olav Hovstad scored in the 100th minute to give the Dukes a 2-1 win on Rooney Field.
• This is the 23rd season for the Duquesne men’s soccer program.
• The Dukes are 12-8-2 all-time in season openers, including a 3-0-1 record under fifth-year head coach Chase Brooks.
• Brooks has led DU to Atlantic 10 Championship appearances in 2013, 2015 and 2016.
• DU’s seven returning starters include: grad student D Cody West (18 games/18 starts), sophomore F Zach Hall (18/17), junior D/M Ian Larson (17/16), senior M Fredrik Borenstein (18/15), junior M Noah Mehta (17/11), sophomore D/M Ryan Landry (16/11) and senior M/F George Poppas (18/10).
• Duquesne returns 13 of its 16 goals scored last season (DU benefitted from one own goal) in the form of Borenstein (3), Larson (2), Landry (2), Hall (2), junior M Austin Stout (2), sophomore F Jallah Acqui (1) and junior M/F Olav Hovstad (1).
• DU returns its top five point-getters from last season in Borenstein (nine points, 3g/3a). Landry (seven points, 2g/3a), Larson (six points, 2g/2a), Hall (five points, 2g/1a) and Stout (four points, 2g).
• Borenstein leads the team in career points (26), goals (9) and assists (8). He has three career game-winners.
• Borenstein (52g/34 starts) and senior George Poppas (41g/12starts) are DU’s two most-experienced returnees in terms ot total games played.
• The Dukes are looking to replace goalkeeper Evan Kozlowski who posted nine shutouts in starting all 18 games last season. The top candidates to replace Kozlowski are sophomores Scott Rissler and Robbie McKelvey along with redshirt freshman Connor Mathes. None of the three have seen action in a Division I game.
The Dukes host Bloomsburg on Sunday at Noon on Rooney Field in the 2017 home opener. Admission is free.
The Last Meeting
|Saint Francis (PA)||1||
August 26, 2016