Aug. 30, 2017
| DUQUESNE MEN’S SOCCER GAMEDAY
||Marshall (1-1-0) at Duquesne (1-1-0)
|Date | Time
||Thursday, August 31, 2017 | 7:00 p.m. ET
||Rooney Field (2,200/Sportexe) | Pittsburgh, Pa.
|| A-10 Digital Network (free)
||Admission is free
Duquesne (1-1-0), returns to action to face Marshall (1-1) at 7:00 p.m. on Thursday, August 31 on Rooney Field.
Duquesne leads the series 2-1-1. In games in Pittsburgh, the series in knotted at 1-1. In the last meeting (Sept. 4, 2015), the Thundering Herd defeated the Dukes, 1-0 on Rooney Field. This is the third time in four seasons the two have met.
• Duquesne is 47-18-9 all-time - including a 14-3-1 mark under fifth-year head coach Chase Brooks - in nonconference games on Rooney Field.
• Brooks has led DU to Atlantic 10 Championship appearances in 2013, 2015 and 2016.
• The Dukes, who posted a 5-0 win over Bloomsburg in Sunday’s home opener, were 4-0-1 in nonconference home games last season.
• DU got goals from four players: Jallah Acqui, Olav Hovstad, George Poppas and Tyrese Edwards (2) in the win over Bloomsburg.
• The Dukes outshot the Huskies 29-2, including 16-2 on goal.
• DU’s seven returning starters include: grad student D Cody West (18 games/18 starts), sophomore F Zach Hall (18/17), junior D/M Ian Larson (17/16), senior M Fredrik Borenstein (18/15), junior M Noah Mehta (17/11), sophomore D/M Ryan Landry (16/11) and senior M/F George Poppas (18/10).
• Duquesne returns 13 of its 16 goals scored last season (DU benefitted from one own goal) in the form of Borenstein (3), Larson (2), Landry (2), Hall (2), junior M Austin Stout (2), sophomore F Jallah Acqui (1) and junior M/F Olav Hovstad (1).
• DU returns its top five point-getters from last season in Borenstein (nine points, 3g/3a). Landry (seven points, 2g/3a), Larson (six points, 2g/2a), Hall (five points, 2g/1a) and Stout (four points, 2g).
• Borenstein leads the team in career points (26), goals (9) and assists (8). He has three career game-winners.
• Borenstein (52g/34 starts) and senior George Poppas (41g/12starts) entered the season as DU’s two most-experienced returnees in terms ot total games played.
• The Dukes, who are looking to replace goalkeeper Evan Kozlowski who posted nine shutouts in starting all 18 games last season, opened the season with sophomore Scott Rissler in net. It was Rissler’s first Division I game. Sophomore Robbie McKelvey got the start vs. Bloomsburg (59:36) and combined with Rissler (30:24) for the shutout.
• Sophomore Zach Hall had a goal and assist in the season opener at Saint Francis U. Fellow sophomore Jallah Acqui added the Dukes’ other goal.
• Acqui added a second goal vs. Bloomsburg.
• Freshman Tyrese Edwards came off the bench to score a pair of second-half goals vs. Bloomsburg. Edwards, who logged 37 minutes, scored in the 76th and 78th minute. The Brampton, Ontario native took a team high six shots, including a team-most four on goal.
• Graduate student Cody West and junior Olav Hovstad are the team captains for 2017.
The Dukes are idle for eight days before heading to Lewisburg, Pa. for a Sept. 9 match-up at Bucknell (4:00 p.m.).
The Last Meeting
September 4, 2015