Dukes Drop Hawks, 4-1, in A-10 Quarterfinals
April 11, 2003
PITTSBURGH, PA - The fifth-seeded Duquesne University men's tennis team, with singles wins by a junior and three freshmen, defeated fourth-seeded Saint Joseph's, 4-1, in the quarterfinals of the Atlantic 10 Championship at Monroeville's Oxford Athletic Club on Friday.
Junior Micael Lopez-Acevedo (Guaynabo, PR / Colegio Marista / Bowling Green) and three freshmen: Russell Moseley (St. Michael, Barbados / Louis Lynch Secondary), Devon Peightal (Fairview, PA / Cathedral Prep) and Robert Ojeda (San Juan, PR / Marquette), each won their singles matches to clinch the victory. This stopped the matches still in progress at number 1 and 5 singles and number 2 doubles.
The Dukes return to action tomorrow, April 12, 2003, at 11:00 a.m. as they face number-one seed Richmond which topped Temple (9) 4-0 in this afternoon's quarterfinal match. Temple topped no. 8 Fordham in Friday morning's opening round match.
1. Seth Fogelman (DU) vs. Frank Velazquez 2-6, 6-3, 4-1 DNF 2. Micael Lopez-Acevedo def. Jimmy Holland 6-2, 6-3 3. Russell Moseley def. Chris Spencer 4-6, 6-3, 6-3 4. Devon Peightal def. Van Pangilinan 6-2, 6-2 5. Ryan Moseley (DU) vs. Greg Chang 6-7, 6-4, 5-0 DNF 6. Robert Ojeda def. Antonio Aniello 6-3, 6-3
1. Francisco Velazquez/Pangilinan def. Seth Fogelman / Ru. Moseley 8-5 2. Holland / AJ Garabedian (SJU) vs. Lopez / Peightal 7-6 DNF 3. Greg Chang/Aniello def. Ryan Moseley / Robert Ojeda 8-4
Friday's Match Scores
1. Temple defeats Fordham 4-2 2. Dayton defeats Rhode Island 4-0 3. George Washington defeats La Salle 4-0
4. Duquesne defeats Saint Joseph's 4-1 5. Richmond defeats Temple 4-0 6. St. Bonaventure defeats Dayton 4-0 7. Xavier defeats George Washington 4-1
8. Rhode Island defeats La Salle 4-0 (La Salle is eliminated & finishes in 11th place)
9. Rhode Island vs. Fordham 8:00 a.m. 12. Saint Joseph's vs Dayton 2:00 p.m. 13. Temple vs. George Washington 2:00 p.m.