#DuqWBB Advances in WNIT After 62-52 Victory Over Mount St. Mary's

March 21, 2014

Box Score |  Photo Gallery 

PITTSBURGH - The Duquesne women's basketball team advanced into the 2nd Round of the 2014 Women's Invitation Tournament after a 62-52 victory over Mount St. Mary's on Friday night at the Palumbo Center.

Duquesne (20-12) has reached the 20-win mark for the sixth straight season. Mount St. Mary's season ends at 19-14. Additionally, the senior class recorded their 88th win, which ties the program record.

Raegan Moore led the Dukes with 13 points. April Robinson scored 12 and Wumi Agunbiade and Orsi Szecsi each added 10. Moore and Szecsi both grabbed nine rebounds.

The Mountaineers were led by Sydney Henderson who scored a game-high 14 points. Jacqueline Brewer added a double-double of 10 points and a game-high 10 rebounds.

The opening half started off slowly, with the teams combining for 2-of-13 from the floor heading into the 16-minute media timeout. The Dukes did not get their first field goal until 16:06 of the 1st half when Olivia Bresnahan picked off a Henderson pass and took it in for a layup.

Jenn Carney's 3-pointer at 15:32 followed by Jessie Kaufman's 3-pointer less than a minute later gave The Mount its first lead of the game, 8-6 with 14:41 remaining. Mount St. Mary's capped an 11-0 run with a Kaufman 3-pointer that made the score 13-6 at 12:11.

The Mountaineers doubled up the Dukes at 16-8 by the midway point of the half after Kaitlyn Eisenhard's layup. The Dukes would respond with a 14-2 run started by Robinson. She converted an acrobatic layup off a pass from Oditte Odisho and followed with a 3-pointer to cut the deficit to three points at 16-13, forcing a Mount St. Mary's timeout at 8:06. Odisho's would score the next five points starting with a 3-pointer at 6:47 tied the game at 18-18 and a layup at 6:05 to give the Dukes back the lead.

Bresnahan's foul shot at 1:05 gave Duquesne its largest lead of the half - six points at 28-22. Neither team scored the rest of the half.

After Jose-Ann Johnson opened the 2nd half scoring with a hook shot, Mount St. Mary's went on an 8-0 run to regain the lead 31-30 at 16:51. The lead would exchange hands three times and by the midway point of the half, the Dukes were holding on to a 41-40 advantage.

The Dukes' defense would hold the Mountaineers without a field goal from the 10:56 mark until 4:25. In that span, Duquesne would have a lead as high as eight points with 6:41 remaining. However, The Mount would covert four foul shots along with a field goal to get within two points at 49-47 with 4:25 to play.

However, the Dukes would hold the lead the rest of the game, hitting clutch free throws and making defensive stops in the game's final minute.

The Dukes dominated in the paint, outscoring the Mountaineers 34-18 and 12-2 on fast breaks. The Mount held a 40-38 edge in rebounds.

Up next, the Dukes will travel to Michigan for a Monday night game against the Wolverines. Tipoff time is at 7:00 p.m. The winner will play the winner of St. Bonaventure and Bowling Green.




Promo Graphic

Dukes Social

SPONSORED BY:   Schneider Downs


  • Loading Tweets...
    1 second ago