Dukes Top St. Francis 18-15 for First Victory of Season
March 1, 2018
LORETTO, Pa. - Eight different Dukes scored, including seven players with at least two goals as the Duquesne lacrosse team earned its first win of the 2018 campaign by a score of 18-15 on the road at St. Francis (Pa.) on Thursday evening at Degol Field. The Dukes improve to 1-3 with the victory while the Red Flash falls to 1-3.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The Dukes gained an early 3-0
- Duquesne answered with seven of the next eight scores, all coming from different players to take a 10-4 lead with 8:58 showing on the first half clock.
- After the Dukes took an 11-6 advantage into halftime, Duquesne came out firing in the second stanza, scoring four of the next five goals, including two apiece from Jill Vacanti and Megan Buettner, to take the largest lead of the contest at 15-7 with 18:28 to play.
- The hosts would battle with eight goals down the stretch, but the Dukes were able to stave off the St. Francis comeback by holding on for the 18-15 triumph.
- Megan Buettner paced the Dukes with a career-high four goals on four shots in the contest.
- Jill Vacanti finished with her first hat trick of the season while Haley Matthai, Sarah Kollhoff, Michaela Connolly and Maddie Hart each had two goals and an assist for the Dukes. Hart added six ground balls, five draw controls and three caused turnovers in the win.
- Carlee Braverman netted a pair of goals while Rilee Bradshaw scored a goal to go with an assist.
- Emily McMinimee made nine saves in goal for Duquesne
- Duquesne is now 9-0 all-time against the Red Flash.
- The Dukes return to action on Saturday, March 10 hosting UMBC (3-1) at noon ET at Rooney Field. The Retrievers won their first three games of the season before falling to fourth-ranked Maryland on Wednesday.
- DU is 2-2 all-time against UMBC, including a 1-1 mark in Pittsburgh.