Dukes Drop A-10 Road Contest at St. Joseph's
April 15, 2018
PHILADELPHIA, Pa. - The Duquesne lacrosse team could not overcome an early deficit in a 15-4 defeat at St. Joseph's in an Atlantic 10 contest to close out a three-game road swing on Sunday afternoon at Sweeney Field.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The Hawks (8-6, 4-2 A-10) built an 8-1 lead, including a 7-1 advantage at the half, before the Dukes (3-10, 1-5 A-10) scored three of the next four goals to shrink the St. Joseph's edge to 9-4 with just under 18 minutes to play in the second half.
- Sophomore midfielder Maddie Hart (Sykesville, Md./Century), freshman attacker Michaela Connolly (Sykesville, Md./Century) and freshman midfielder Carlee Braverman (Laurel, N.J/Lenape) each found the back of the net for the Dukes during the surge.
- However, this is as close as Duquesne would come, as the Hawks closed out the game with six straight goals to earn the 15-4 league victory.
- Hart led the Dukes with two points, scoring a goal to go with an assist. She now has 20 goals and seven assists on the season. Hart added a game-high five draw controls in the contest.
- Duquesne's first goal of the game came from junior attacker Haley Matthai (Bel Air, Md/C. Milton Wright) on the assist by Hart.
- The Dukes held a 12-9 advantage in draw controls.
The Dukes wrap up their home portion of the 2018 schedule next weekend with a pair of Atlantic 10 matchups. Duquesne will host Davidson on Friday, April 20 at 4 p.m. before taking on George Washington on Sunday, April 22 at 1 p.m.