Junior midfielder Sarah Kollhoff
Feb. 15, 2018
DUQUESNE: Roster / Schedule / Stats / News
ROBERT MORRIS: Roster / Schedule / Stats / News
- Duquesne officially begins the 2018 season on Saturday afternoon at 1 p.m. hosting Robert Morris at Arthur J. Rooney Field.
- The Dukes are led by second-year head coach Lisa Evans, who took over the reins of the program prior to last season after spending seven seasons as an assistant coach at Duquesne.
- DU has posted at least nine wins in six of the last seven seasons.
- The Dukes hosted Slippery Rock in an exhibition contest last Sunday at Rooney Field, with the Dukes claiming an 8-4 triumph over the Rock. Jill Vacanti recorded a hat trick while Sarah Kollhoff added a pair of goals. Haley Matthai dished out a pair of assists for Duquesne, as well.
- Duquesne owns an 11-1 advantage in the all-time series.
- The Dukes are 6-0 at home and 5-1 on the road against the Colonials.
- DU won the first 11 meetings between the two schools from 2006-16, but Robert Morris claimed a 17-6 triumph over the Dukes last year at Joe Walton Stadium in Moon Township.
- In 2016, Jill Vacanti scored five goals while Haley Matthai and Sarah Kollhoff each recorded their first collegiate goals in a 14-7 victory over Robert Morris at Rooney Field.
- The two teams also met in the Dukes' season opener in 2015, with Duquesne winning by a score of 17-16 in overtime at Joe Walton Stadium. Jill Vacanti had her first career goal and her first career assist in the win.
SCOUTING THE DUKES
- Duquesne returns senior attacker Jill Vacanti (Penfield, N.Y./Penfield) who enters her final season with the Dukes with 134 career points (105 goals, 29 assists). Vacanti has started all 52 games of her career and was a First Team All-Atlantic 10 selection as a sophomore in 2016 after earning A-10 All-Rookie Team honors in 2015.
- All told, the Dukes return 10 starters from last season, including junior attacker Haley Matthai (Bel Air, Md./C.Milton Wright) and junior midfielder Sarah Kollhoff (Exton, Pa./Downington), who each finished with 13 points for DU last year.
- Senior defender Kenna Gubler (Frederick, Md./Tuscarora) led the Dukes with 35 ground balls and 24 caused turnovers last season. Goalkeeper Emily McMinimee (Littleton, Colo./Chatfield) also returns for Duquesne after tallying 113 saves in 2017.
SCOUTING THE COLONIALS
- Robert Morris was picked to finish third in the NEC preseason poll. The Colonials finished with an 11-7 overall ledger and a 5-2 mark in conference play in 2017.
- RMU comes into Saturday's contest after dropping its season opener to Bucknell by a score of 5-4 in double overtime last Saturday in Moon Township.
- Robert Morris returns senior midfielder Dana Davis, who paced the Colonials with 34 goals last season. Also returning is sophomore attackman Mackenzie Gandy who led RMU with 56 points and 27 assists.
- RMU is led by first-year head coach Katrina Silva, a former head coach at Virginia Tech who previously worked as an assistant coach with the Colonials for six seasons.
- DU makes the short trek to central Pennsylvania to face intrastate foe Penn State on Wednesday, Feb. 21 at 4 p.m. ET. The Nittany Lions are ranked 12th in the latest Inside Lacrosse Poll.
- Penn State has made two consecutive NCAA Final Four appearances, falling to eventual national champion Maryland in last season's national semifinal.
The Last Meeting
March 25, 2017
Moon Township, Pa.
Duquesne closed out its nonconference schedule with a 17-6 loss at Robert Morris on Saturday afternoon