@DuqSwimDive Seniors (L to R): Lexi Santer, Michelle Heim, Kayla Owens, Abby Watson
Jan. 12, 2018
- Duquesne closes the home portion of its 2017-18 schedule on Saturday afternoon hosting Ohio and former Atlantic 10 foe Xavier at 2 p.m. at Towers Pool.
- The Dukes will honor their four seniors Michelle Heim (Greensboro, N.C./Ragsdale), Kayla Owens (Youngstown, Pa./Greater Latrobe), Lexi Santer (Wilmington, Del./Charter School of Wilmington) and Abby Watson (Chesterfield, Mo./Marquette) prior to the meet.
- Duquesne recently returned from the Florida Training Trip which included a 284-164 victory over South Dakota in the Orange Bowl Swim Classic in Key Largo, Fla. The Dukes earned first-place finishes in all 12 events at the meet.
- The Dukes are 8-0 in dual meets this season and 17-2 since the start of last season. One of those losses came at the hands of the Ohio Bobcats on the road last season. On that day, Duquesne also topped Xavier by a score of 171-90.
- There is one more chance to see the Dukes in Pittsburgh this season at the Western PA Invite on Jan. 26-27 at Trees Pool on the campus of the University of Pittsburgh.
THE DUKES SENIORS
-Along with winning several individual and relay conference titles, the four seniors have helped Duquesne earn the three top finishes in school history at the last three Atlantic 10 Championship meets. The Dukes tallied a school-record 498.5 points at least year's championship, good for their second consecutive second-place finish. Duquesne recorded 487.0 points in 2016 and a third-place mark of 479.0 points in 2015.
- In addition to their many accomplishments in the pool, the four Dukes seniors have excelled in the classroom as well, posting an average cumulative GPA of 3.54. All four have been members of the Atlantic 10 Commissioner's Honor Roll as well as the Director of Athletics Honor Roll and the Dean's List.
- Heim, Owens, and Watson were part of the Dukes' 2017 Atlantic 10 Championship 200-yard medley relay team, an event in which they set a school record with a time of 1:41.23.
- Heim owns a top-10 time in school history in the 50-yard freestyle with a mark of 23.69.
- Owens holds four school records with two individual marks in the 100 breaststroke (1:02.94) and the 100 fly (55.60). She also was part of the school-record 400-yard medley relay team along with fellow senior Abby Watson with a time of 3:44.69.
- Owens also has three more top-10 times in school history in the 200 breaststroke (2:15.71), 200 fly (2:04.11) and the 200 IM (2:02.95). She was a two-time A-10 Rookie of the Week honoree as a freshman during the 2014-15 season and was a CSCAA Scholar All-America Honorable Mention selection during her debut season with the Dukes, as well.
- Santer is a two-time Atlantic 10 Champion with wins in the 200-yard back (1:58.00) and the 400 IM (4:20.33). In addition, she is the school record-holder in four events including the 200 back (1:58.00), 200 IM (2:01.02), 400 freestyle relay (3:21.78) and the 800 freestyle relay (7:19.43).
- Santer has five more top-10 times in program history in the 100 free (51.42), 200 free (1:49.59), 500 free (4:56.19), 100 back (56.64) and the 400 IM (4:17.74).
- A two-time Academic All-Conference honoree, Santer earned CSCAA Scholar All-American honors in 2016 and in 2017.
- Watson won the 100-yard backstroke (55.82) at the Atlantic 10 Championship as a freshman in 2015. She has three more top-10 times in school history in the 100 back (55.82), 200 back (2:00.35) and 100 fly (56.54).
- Watson was also an Academic All-Conference selection last season.
- Duquesne travels to Akron for a dual meet on Friday, Jan. 19. The action against the Zips gets underway at 5 p.m.