Meet Preview: @DuqSwimDive at CSCAA National Invitational
March 7, 2018
- Coming off their first Atlantic 10 swimming and diving championship in program history, eight Dukes swimmers are slated to participate in the 2018 College Swimming and Diving Coaches Association of America National Invitational at the U.S. Naval Academy in Annapolis, Md. on March 8-10.
- The CSCAA National Invite consists of swimmers who met NCAA Championship time standards but did not receive an invitational to the national meet. Additionally, both individual event and relay swimmers could automatically qualify for the meet by virtue of winning the event at their conference championship or by attaining other time standards established for the meet.
- The field includes student-athletes from 49 different teams.
@DuqSwimDive participating swimmers
- DU finished with a program-record 567 points at the A-10 Championship meet, besting seven-time defending champion Richmond by nine points.
- Freshman Emma Brinton (Landenburg, Pa./Avon Grove) was named the A-10 Most Outstanding Rookie Performer after collecting a pair of gold medals in the 200-yard individual medley and the 400-yard individual medley. She set a new school record in the 200 IM, while also setting a new A-10 Championship, pool and school record in the 400 IM. Brinton was also part of the bronze medal-winning 400-yard medley relay team.
- 17th-year head coach David Sheets earned A-10 Women's Swimming Coach of the Year honors.
- The Dukes picked up 13 medals in 20 events at the meet, including four golds, two silvers and five bronzes across the four-day meet.