Senior Marina Zelenovic won her No. 1 singles match Sunday.
March 2, 2003
Daytona Beach, Florida -
Duquesne's women's tennis team kicked off their Florida stretch of spring contests with a 4-3 loss to Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University, the fifth-ranked NAIA squad, Sunday at the Pelican Bay Tennis Club. Senior Marina Zelenovic and juniors Alina Klinova and Katie Riedinger were victors in Number 1, 2 and 3 singles respectively.
The Eagles captured the other three single matches and two of three doubles contests for the win. Senior Leia Zingone and sophomore Sarah Shanahan won the sole doubles match for the Dukes.
The Dukes (2-3, 1-2 A10) will continue their spring competition in the Sunshine State prior to returning to Pittsburgh.
- The NAIA counts each double match individually while NCAA rules count the three doubles matches for one point. Under NAIA scoring, Embry-Riddle won 5-4.
- Freshman women's lacrosse defender Sheridan Owings' brother Adam is a pilot at Embry Riddle.
Embry-Riddle 4, Duquesne 3
1. Marina Zelenovic (DU) def. Natalia Kozyura (ERU) 0-6, 6-4, 7-5
2. Alina Klinova (DU) def. Angela Melito (ERU) 7-5, 2-6, 6-1
3. Katie Riedinger (DU) def. Liza Francis (ERU) 6-2, 6-3
4. Jessica Anaya (ERU) def. Sarah Shanahan (DU) 4-6, 6-2, 7-5
5. Elizabeth Sanchez (ERU) def. Julie Wagner (DU) 6-1, 6-1
6. Meghan Fairbrother (ERU) def. Cecilia Cardona (DU) 6-3, 6-1
1. Kozyura/Francis (ERU) def. Klinova/Zelenovic (DU) 8-6
2. Melito/Sanchez (ERU) def. Wagner/Riedinger (DU) 8-3
3. Zingone/Shanahan (DU) def. Anaya/Fairbrother (ERU) 8-2